Miramar is an Argentine city located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean inBuenos Aires Province, 450 km (280 mi) south of Buenos Aires. It is the seat of General Alvarado Partido. The name “Miramar” cames from the words Mira (look) and Mar (sea).
|Nickname(s): "The City of Children"|
|Buenos Aires Province|
1870: The land that now includes General Alvarado Partido came into the ownership of Fortunato de La Plaza.
1887: It was around this time the project to build Miramar was undertaken by Jose María Dupuy, Rómulo Otamendi (engineer) and Fortunato de la Plaza.
1888: Miramar was founded on 20 September.
1889: Construction began on the first church in Miramar.
1891: The Partido of General Alvarado was created on September 29, with Miramar as its capital.
1911: The Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway arrived in Miramar and the company later built a comfortable hotel and adjoining golf course in the town.
1920: The first aeroplane arrives in Miramar.
1927: The Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway began the construction of the Miramar golf course.
1930: The hotel Dormy House was built adjacent to the golf course by the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway, and later a tunnel was built to provide access to the sea from the hotel
The summer tourist season provides the most significant contribution to the economy of Miramar. Other economic activities include farming and agroindustry, with most of these concentrated around the nearby village of Comandante Nicanor Otamendi.